Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Why Change is Scary & Why You Should Do It Anyway

Change.

Funny how one short word can bring on such LARGE emotions?! What kinds of things come to mind when you hear the word change? Are they happy things like marriage, babies, promotions, raises, etc? Probably not. If you are like most people you probably don't quickly reach for the positive. 

In fact, if you are like most, you probably think CHANGE = SCARY. Am I right?! WHY do we think this way? I will tell you why. Because when you change, you have to leave your comfort zone. You have to leave that warm, fuzzy place that you have built up. You might have to become vulnerable. You might fail. That IS scary. 

We are all guilty of designing little comfort zones where we are content. But that's it - just content. It's a place where we feel happy. No one is invading it or telling us to get out. It's a nice place. But then, we set up camp and never leave. And who would want to?! It's snuggly and warm and happy and cozy and failure-free. It'd be scary to leave there. 

Do you know what is even scarier? NOT changing. Not risking vulnerability and failure. If you are not willing to do so, you will never know what you are capable of! You will never understand that failure is a step forward on the path to success, not a step backwards! You could miss out on SO much by not taking a step outside of yourself. 


If Bill (my husband) and I hadn't stepped outside of our comfort zones, we wouldn't have missed SO much. We wouldn't have made amazing friends in new cities ... and I am talking FOREVER friends. He wouldn't have gotten the promotions he has or been able to rise to the spot he is in professionally (bragging moment: my husband is in the #1 spot in the country in his role)! I wouldn't have gotten my BSN in a short 15 months. We wouldn't be living in a beautiful home in rural Wisconsin that we love where we have made MORE forever friends. I wouldn't have lost the weight that I have or had the guts to make it public. I wouldn't have signed up as a coach and would have never had the opportunity to meet and help hundreds of others! 

What will you miss out on if you don't start stepping AWAY from your comfort zone!? Are you willing to become a little bit vulnerable for a chance at being a LOT happier?!

I'll leave you with this quote - I hope it does for you what it has for me! 


Cheers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment