Sunday, May 18, 2014

Honor Your SELF

I stumbled across this quote from Paulo Coelho today and it damn near perfectly describes our life right now: "Life has many ways of testing a person's will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen all at once."

We are in the "everything all at once" phase right now. First and foremost, we are 19 weeks pregnant with our first baby!! It is the most exciting, awe-inspiring, anxiety-producing, and terrifying thing Bill and I have lived through, thus far. Creating a human in and of itself is pretty tiring! But Baby P isn't the only major event we have going on right now! We are packing up our home for the third time in under three years and moving back across the country later this week. This time, it is a move to our hometown because we want to raise Baby around as much family as possible. It is so exciting, but that doesn't make the move itself less stressful. Add on full time jobs, applying for new jobs, our home being on the market,  and the fact that we will be moving in with my parents until this house sells and we can buy a new one, and, well... it makes my head spin!!!


This is by no means a pity party post. I just want to share the notion that when your plate becomes too full, it is time to step back and honor your SELF and your FAMILY. The stress that this move and the fact that we don't know when our home will sell is causing me so much anxiety. It's enough to keep a girl up for hours on end in the middle of the night! 

It finally hit home when I started having sharp, shooting ligament and muscle pain all through my stomach. My body is NOT happy with me. It is in the middle of creating a miracle, and here I am pushing it to the maximum capacity. Packing, lifting heavy boxes, constantly worrying, constantly on the move, staying up all night to work... my body had ENOUGH. And when the baby's little house starts to hurt, it's time to stop and find a solution. That solution: rest. No more lifting heavy boxes. No more pushing myself to fit everything in at once. No more go-go-go. Time to ask for help. Time to take a PTO day at work. Time for relaxation. 


Admitting that I am not capable of doing it all is very hard for me. Harder than I expected. But being pregnant has made me realize more than ever, my body is worth HONORING. The messages we receive from our bodies come in the form of physical and emotional feelings. And when another life is involved, you are a little bit more willing to pay attention! 

What I am learning is that, pregnant or not, your body does miraculous things. Listen to it. Honor it. Learn from it. Get to know the messages it sends you. Know the difference between soreness and pain. Know when to push it and when to call it a day. It is trial and error, but until you learn to honor the messages your body sends you, you won't know what it is truly capable of! 

Cheers, friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment