Monday, May 4, 2015

Ultimate Reset: Week 1 Recap

If you follow me on Facebook you know that seven days ago, I embarked a huge challenge. I began Beachbody’s Ultimate Reset. The Ultimate Reset is s 21 day full body detox and cleanse. It is designed to maximize your energy and help you retain quality nutrients that you put into your body. Basically, it improves the way you feel and function. It can also help with weight loss - when you body is functioning properly it is better able to burn fat and take in nutrients.


The Reset is divided into three phases: Reclaim, Release, and Restore. Each are one week long. During Phase 1, Reclaim, you wean off of red meat and dairy in order to prepare your body for change. During Phase 2, Release, you begin to release the toxic compounds your body is storing. The diet is completely vegetarian and this phase includes a “gentle colon cleanse” (I’m nervous for next week!). Phase 3, Restore, leads into a fully vegan diet or mostly fruits and vegetables. It is designed to restore you metabolism to maximum capacity and put nutrients, enzymes, and pre- and probiotics back into your system.



During each week there are a number of supplements that you take throughout the day.  I’m going to focus on the Reclaim phase supplements and info and tell you more about the other phases as I go through them. This weeks supplements are:


Alkalinize - this is mixed with 2-4 oz. of water and helps maintain alkalinity in the body. (Did you know that acidic bodies are more prone to disease and cancer?)


Mineralize - this is mixed in with your distilled water that you drink throughout the day. It adds minerals to the body.


Optimize - this is a capsule taken 3 times a day before meals to promote metabolism and effective body function.


Soothe - this is a capsule taken before dinner the helps enhance digestive health and reduce inflammation.




Again, week one consisted of a lot of fruits and vegetables with some meat, grains, and very limited dairy. The meal plan consists of eating three meals a day and having an optional afternoon snack!


Now, if you know me, you know that not only do I LOVE carbs but I also HATE vegetables. Like, I gag when I chew on them. If you have read ((My Story)), you know that my entire life has been a battle with overeating. I am an emotional eater and a food addict. Eating a diet this strict is the biggest challenge of my health and fitness journey thus far!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So how did week one go? Well, I am still here, still on plan, still haven’t cheated, and I am getting RESULTS!!!


The hardest part of the week started mid-way through day 2 and lasted through day 4 or 5. Here’s why: I’m a drug addict. YEP!!! I am ADDICTED to caffeine and sugar. Or, I was. Detoxing from these two substances lead to a headache (caffeine withdrawal) that could take down an ox and overall body aches that remind me of the flu (sugar withdrawal). After day 5, things have improved. Sitting here now on the night of day 7 I am still a bit achy in my joints but my headache is gone and I feel more “alive.”


The food this week was pretty good! Bill and I tried a few things that we have never tried before - some we loved and some we didn’t. We have realized that instead of trying to eat each of the 21 different meals that they give you for the week, it is going to work best for us if we pick 3 options for each meal and stick with those for the week - this will save us money, time on food prep, and it is better to eat what you know you will like as opposed to trying to stomach something you don’t. It sets us up for better success. I will share a few recipes over the next week of our favorite things!!


Am I still having food cravings? You know it! In fact, this week has made me aware of just how addicted I am to food. I have been eating food for the way it makes me FEEL instead of thinking of what it can do for me and my body. I currently would like mostly CARBS and cheese. Cheese fries, pierogies, movie theatre popcorn, a big steak, a soft pretzel, and a glass of wine.



A lot of people have commented on my nightly updates saying “I just couldn’t give up X.” Well, I am living, breathing proof that you CAN. I was drinking 3-4 cups of coffee a day up until the day before we started the Reset. While we were in Cancun, I indulged plentifully. We also used the week between Cancun and the Reset as the ultimate cheat week since we knew we were jumping on this crazy ride. We ate everything from pizza to chicken fingers to hibachi, to McDonald’s fries! And then BOOM - stopped immediately on Tuesday morning. I did NOT think I could do it either. But I can. I am. And you can too.



My motivation for doing this program is to accelerate my postpartum weight loss and to cut my sugar and fat addiction off at the knees. But that is, honestly, not enough to keep me going when the going gets rough, which happens at least once a day on this program. What keeps me going when it is hardest are my accountability partners!! My husband, Bill, is doing this with me which is a huge help because not only do I not have to worry about temptation but he also enjoys cooking and prepping (bonus!). My friend Nikki and I started on the same day and have been taking turns carrying each other through messages - when one wants to quit, the other immediately takes action to boost the other up. I thank God for her every day because I’m certain we both would’ve quit by now without each other. Another friend, Carlee, started a few days after us. She and I are also messaging and commenting and checking in with one another to vent and keep each other going. And lastly, my Facebook friends that have been encouraging me daily - you guys, you have no idea how much that helps. It keeps me from wanting to fall off and have to admit failure and it helps boost my confidence in myself!!


The week one final measurements:

Weight loss: 9.5 pounds

Inches lost: 6.5
Waist: -1.75 inches
Hips: -2 inches
Right arm: -0.75 inches
Left arm: -0.5 inches
Right thigh: -0.75 inches
Left thigh: -0.75 inch




I am nervous about week two and the elimination of all meat and dairy, but from what I hear, week 2 is when you start to feel re-energized, start sleeping better, and start realizing the INTERNAL benefits of having a clean inside! I look forward to the body soreness going away, that is for sure!!

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for being there for me! I honestly love each of you and could not make this program work if it weren't for you!

xo,
Chris

Leave a comment below with your email address if you have any question about the Reset and I'll get them answered for you!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment