Friday, May 2, 2014

Bill's World Famous Homemade Taco Seasoning

I don't know about you but we LOVE taco night in the Pierce house. What is better than an easy-peasy taco night?! Low clean up, delicious, inexpensive.. mmm, mmm!!

What I HATE about taco night is that expensive packet of seasoning. Over $1.25 for seasoning is an awful lot in the grand scheme of things, especially when you cook for a family every night! Plus, depending on the brand of packet, the sodium content, among other things, is unnecessarily high. Sodium is one thing I try to keep control over in my cooking. It is one of the biggest culprits in disease processes like hypertension and can also cause the dreaded BLOAT! (I hate bloat passionately.. but don't we all!)

So after I got tired of paying for packets of seasoning that someone else put together and profited 200%+ on, I decided to figure out what we had that was equally awesome. Well, I actually assigned the hubby with that task and over the next few taco nights, he has figured out the perfect combination!


Seven spices, most of which (I bet) you already have! 

1. Garlic powder
2. Onion powder
3. Ground Cumin
4. Chili Powder
5. Smoked Paprika
6. Salt
7. Pepper 

In terms of exact amounts, there is no right or wrong. They are pretty equal. We use only a "dash" of cumin but more of a "3-5 shake" amount of the other spices. I think the fun in making your own is seasoning to taste, so have fun with it and experiment! Cook your taco meat first, then add spices at the end! Just have fun and know that you are in control of what it will become! That is the fun of cooking, right?! 

Cheers and happy seasoning!

No comments:

Post a Comment