Monday, August 31, 2015

It's the Little Things

Becoming a mom has taught me so much more than I could have imagined. The skills of motherhood, the things I expected to learn (feeding, changing, sleeping, etc), are nothing compared to what I have learned about LIFE and about what is truly important.

One of my favorite lessons thus far is that the moments that mean the most are the most routine and seemingly insignificant pieces of your day. The first time your baby gives you a sloppy, open-mouthed kiss; when he lays his head on your shoulder; the smiles and excitement from you little boy when his daddy walks in the door... THOSE tiny moments matter far more than anything. Living in and enjoying those moments make me a mother more than diapers and bottles and sleep patterns.

I have been thinking this morning about how the little things in ALL areas of life are what make us who we are. Each and every decision and action you make all add up to help you become YOU.

Let's look at this in terms of health and fitness.

Losing weight and becoming fit doesn't happen in giant leaps. You don't go from 200 pounds to 150 pounds in a month. You drop weight one-tenth of a pound at a time. That 0.1 pounds means NOTHING to most of us when we see our numbers on the scale fall. But the truth is, THAT is how it all happens. One teeny, tiny tenth of a pound at a time.

Marathon runners don't begin their journey running 26.2 miles. Most novice runners start with just a mile or two and work up! What is one mile compared to the 26.2 mile goal? Is it meaningless? NO!!! It is a hugely important piece of the puzzle!

I work with a lot of challengers. Many of them have a hard time overcoming their lack of confidence. Whether they lose one inch or ten inches in a month, they've made progress. I want to celebrate that with them! But instead I often hear, "I ONLY lost (X) pounds this month." As a coach I want to scream and shout and jump for joy with them. But they're down on themselves. This is where I get to step in and try to talk them up. I wish that they would celebrate with me!!! If they lost 1 pound in a month, its progress. If they lost 1 inch, it is progress. If they gained a little bit more energy, its progress. Long term health comes from PROGRESS not PERFECTION. No one is going to eat a perfect diet or workout with perfect intensity every day - we are human, not robots!

My wish for the women and men I work with, and for you, is that you learn to love the process in all areas. CELEBRATE each tiny moment, each small victory. When you keep that positive mindset and outlook, things start to fall into place.

I know you can do this. You're the only one the needs convincing. Go convince yourself.

xo,
C

No comments:

Post a Comment